On Sunday, March 24, 2018, Team Loreley went officially green by taking the pledge with the Green Dragons. We are now formally committed, as a team, to
- bringing reusable water bottles to all trainings, race events, and festivals.
- bringing reusable cups for after race parties and events
- bringing food to festivals in reusable containers, or to purchasing from environmentally friendly outlets
- participating in beach clean-ups after every training
- nominating a Green Ambassador
- encouraging others and raising awareness!
We are very happy to be officially part of the Green Dragons Community!
It was windy on the day, and rumor had it that other teams had not fared too well while paddling, and therefore the Stanley Dragonboat Association limited boats to 16 paddlers. This meant that a few of us had to stay on the beach for an hour, waiting for our boats to come back and pick us up. And we made good use of this time picking up some trash! We stayed right where we were, and even though the beach had not looked particularly dirty, we managed to fill two plastic bags with mainly Styrofoam, rope and twine, cigarette butts, and snack wrappers. Needless to say, we could have continued for hours, and there was no visible change when we finally got on the boat… for an exhausting training in super choppy waters!
Make sure to like the Green Dragons on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/GreenDragonsHK) and never leave home without your reusable water bottle or coffee mug!